Tuesday, May 31st, 2005
A bunch of new images for the READIN Family Album:
Sunday, May 29th, 2005
"Night of the Hunter" is the movie that I have had in mind ever since I saw it 6 or 7 years ago at the American Museum of the Moving Image, as the archtypal confidence-man movie -- I could never remember the name of the movie though, just that it had Robert Mitchum going down the Mississippi [incorrect -- the river is actually the Ohio] conning widows. Tonight we watched the movie on video tape and it took about 5 minutes for it all to come flooding back. What a fantastic film.
Saturday, May 28th, 2005
"Bulbous Bouffant" by the Vestibules has been one of my favorite things ever since I heard it on Greasy Kid Stuff last year. This evening I stopped by the group's home page and was pleased to see they have several video sketches available for free download (of which the funniest is probably Dry Cleaner, or Name Game), and a full album (Chest of Drawers 5.0) on sale for only US$3.
Thursday, May 26th, 2005
Got my scanner working!
Tuesday, May 24th, 2005
Does anyone know if Bazz Ltd., creators of Just! Webmail, are still around? I downloaded their product from a shareware site and like it, but their web site justwebmail.com doesn't seem to have much content on it. I am hoping to be able to license the product -- it would be a shame not to be able to use it.
Nevermind... I just found SquirrelMail, which seems more useful.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2005
A status update on my home improvement tasks for the summer.
- Sylvia's room is painted and lovely; I would post a picture of it if I could figure out how to make my scanner work again. (Update: Scanner working; here's the picture.)
- I finished building Sylvia's playhouse on Friday. Still needs to be sanded and weather-proofed.
- The garbage-can enclosure is pretty well-thought-out now and may commence actually getting built over Labor-day weekend. (Although the priority project for that weekend is cleaning the garage.)
- The small tool shed is still a thing of fantasy.
- Today I started raising the slate walkway up to driveway level, and got about 3/4 of the first section done, before the rains came. The work is going pretty quickly and coming out well.
- Next weekend, when I may-or-may-not start building the garbage enclosure, I also may-or-may-not start laying stone in the area where it is to go. I think I don't have enough bluestone to do this and would like to figure out if there's somewhere I can buy 20 or so square feet without having to buy a full pallette.
- If I might not have enough stone for the garbage enclosure base, I certainly don't have enough to extend the back patio. So that's on hold for now.
Friday, May 20th, 2005
D'oh! I must say Selisoft's ActiveHTML (the product which is driving this blog) has a very effective way of reminding you when your free trial has expired. Okay, well all paid for and licensed now.
Wednesday, May 18th, 2005
In the middle of our life's walk
I found myself in a dark wood
for the straight road was lost
Happy Birthday Matt Yglesias! Reading his post reminds me that it's my birthday too, yeah, I am to the day, 11 years older than Matt. So I am as old now as the narrator of the Inferno.
Monday, May 16th, 2005
A lot more work yesterday on Sylvia's playhouse -- I shingled the roof (in a kind of half-assed way which involves nail heads being visible at the top of the roof) and put up the railing along the sides and back. Today I am quite sore.
Next step is to put a railing on the front (only halfway across the front) and a ladder. It seems totally possible to me that the house will be finished by next weekend in time for my birthday party.
Friday, May 13th, 2005
Frank and I got roof up on Sylvia's playhouse last night -- it looks good and all that is needed now is a ladder and a railing.
Drop me a line! or, sign my Guestbook.
Check out Ellen's writing at Patch.com.