Researching lumber sources for the past few days I came up with this idea: I want to make a page devoted to lumberyards and sawmills in the area. There are already a number of online resources (including the very useful Woodfinder) which I am not really trying to duplicate; what I want to make is a list of personal picks from ww'ers I know and trust -- i.e. the WoodCentral crowd, as well as CJWA members. I have posted requests for recommendations in a couple of places and will see what comes of it.
I will be using this post as a holding area for candidates as I work on the list. Candidates so far:
- Hutt Lumber, Newark
I found this in the phone book while looking for soft maple for my upcoming bookcase project; I have not found anyone who has bought lumber there, but I think I will use it because they have the right price and are nearby. No weekend hours.
- Monteath Lumber, South Amboy
Recommended by several people incl. Lee Alexander, Phil Vitale, Bob Sheppard. They offer a 10% discount to CJWA members.
- Rosenzweig Lumber, Bronx
My primary source when I was in NY and they are still close enough by. No weekend hours.
- NJ Hardwoods, Plainfield
Recommended by Joe Hurst and by Bob Sheppard.
- Wolbach Sawmill, Easton
- Agincourt, Belle Mead
- Bay Ridge Lumber, Bayonne
- Northeastern Lumber, Jamesburg
- US Mahogany, Matawan
Recommended by Lee Alexander, Jack Feinstein, Philip Berman. 10% discount for CJWA members.
- Medford Cedar Products, Bordentown
Recommended by Jack Feinstein.
- East Coast Log, Bloomsbury
Recommended by Steve Antonucci. Wow ‚?? I just spoke to the owner of East Coast Log and he confirmed all lumber is $2/bf. He is around on Saturdays from 10-4. He has a lot of turnover so not all species will be in stock all the time.
East Coast Log
50 CR 639
Bloomsbury, NJ 08804
- Casterline, Morristown
Recommended by Mike R. -- the man who works there gave him a lot of help though he did not end up buying the lumber. Also by Philip Berman who says they are a bit expensive.
- Center Lumber, Paterson
Recommended by Philip Berman.
- Jay Samuels, and Rich O'Connor of WoodFinder, both write to recommend a number of smallish sawmills in NJ and PA.
- John Aniano writes to recommend the unfortunately named Rippoff sawmill in Allentown, NJ; Mike Obertlick's sawmill in Howell, NJ; Willard Bros. in Trenton; and Josh Cavet's mill in NJ.
- Congden Lumber in West Orange: very close to me and they have hours on Saturday morning.
Drop me a line! or, sign my Guestbook.
Check out Ellen's writing at Patch.com.